The University of Bolton Student Services

Disability Services

Mental Health



What is Mental Health?

Mental health is often described as being on a spectrum with any person falling someone on that spectrum at any given time. Mental health can be affected by many things; life changes, bereavement, financial pressures and other life stressors. This can often affect you for a short time or may become more prolonged and a Doctor may give you a diagnosis such as anxiety or depression or another mental health condition.

What support might I access?

If your mental health is impacted whilst at university you may benefit from accessing some of the support services at the University of Bolton. Some of these are more short term and others might be more suitable for someone with a long term diagnosis.

Counselling: The Counselling service has one male and one female counsellor who are experienced with the problems that students face. Any student can refer themselves into the service using the online form found at this link: https://www.bolton.ac.uk/student-life/student-support/life-lounge/counselling/   

Cognitive Behavioural Therapist: We have a fully qualified Cognitive behavioural therapist.  You can refer into this service using the same link: https://www.bolton.ac.uk/student-life/student-support/life-lounge/counselling/

Mental health Advisors: We have one male and 2 female mental health advisors who are qualified and experienced with implementing short term interventions to support students at time of stress and difficulty. Any student can refer themselves into this service using the link provided here: https://www.bolton.ac.uk/student-life/student-support/services-for-disabled-students/mental-health-advisor/mental-health-advisor-referral/   

Please note: If you have an immediate concern for a risk to your self or another students’ risk to self, please call emergency services on 999 for immediate attention.

How to Disclose:

If you have been given a diagnosis of a mental health condition or feel you have a mental health condition it can be helpful to disclose this to the Disability service in order to look into accessing support through the Disability Service.

There are a range of ways to disclose a mental health condition at the university.

·         You can fill in a disclosure form and provide this to student services. The link can be found here: https://www.bolton.ac.uk/assets/Uploads/Disclosure-Form.pdf

·         You can call the Disability service on 01204 903478 to make an appointment to discuss possible support available. You do not need to disclose your condition outside the Disability team if you prefer.

·         You can attend a Disability drop in at the student centre. Drop in times are usually Mon, Tuesday and Wednesday 2.30-4pm though these can vary according to staffing.

Disability Service: Support Available

At the Disability service we can provide a range of support. Depending on your eligibility and individual needs, this can include:

·         Disabled Students Allowance: This is an individualised support package which students may be able to apply for and can result in recommendations for assistive software and equipment, study skills tutors and support with recording lectures. More information can be found here:  https://www.gov.uk/disabled-students-allowances-dsas/overview

·         Exam Support: Disability service can arrange exam support which can include 25% extra time and/or separate room depending on the individual needs of the student.

·         Notification: An individual notification can be sent to your academic department to advise tutors of inclusive teaching adjustments.

·         Equipment Loan: Disability service has limited numbers of Dictaphones and laptops which can be loaned out to students on a short term basis.

Anything else you want to know?

Contact the Disability Service on 01204 903478 / disabilityinfo@bolton.ac.uk