The University of Bolton Student Services

Student Services

Resources, news and events from the Student Services Team

Needing proof that you are a student


Students often need an "official letter" or enrolment letter from their study provider to prove that they are enrolled as a student for a number of reasons - gym membership, for their employer or sponsor, to register with a local GP, for their bank or local Council, certain benefits, and many more. Apart from bank letters, our letter is not addressed to anyone specifically and we refer to it as a "To Whom It May Concern" or TWIMC letter.

You can request a TWIMC letter quickly and easily from your Student Record by following these steps:

  1. Log in to your Student Record.
  2. Check your address details - both your home and term time address. These addresses will be included on your letter and must be correct so that there are no problems with the use of the letter for your intended purpose.
  3. Submit a "To Whom It May Concern Letter" request - you will be asked to state the purpose of your letter within the request. Please note that stating "for proof of study" or similar is not sufficient - we need to know what or who you need the letter for so that we issue you a letter with the correct information.

Once submitted, the request is received by the Student Advisors. We will then aim to issue your letter within five working days and send it by post to your term time address. If we have any queries concerning your request we will contact you.

That's it! As long as you follow these steps, we do the rest and your letter then arrives with you by post.

Please note!

Because we ask for up to five working days to process all letter requests we would appreciate it if you request the letter as soon as you know that you need it, especially if you need to receive it in time for an appointment or a deadline. Please state clearly the purpose of the letter and what information you have been asked to provide, for example you may need a letter that gives your start date, term dates, what year of your course you are on, and suchlike. Letters requested by Tier 4 students may be subject to extra checks by the International Student Journey Officer and the five day processing time takes this into account.