The University of Bolton Library is proud to support Black History Month this October. Beyond reflecting on the past, this month serves as a beacon for the future. We recognise the immense contributions black individuals have made to British society and aim to inspire and empower future generations.
This Black History Month, we are shining the spotlight on a group that has historically been overshadowed: black women. Though black individuals have frequently led social justice movements and initiated change, the specific achievements of black women often remain in the shadows. The month’s theme, ‘Saluting our Sisters’, aims to change that. Black History Month want to highlight the transformative role black women have played in literature, music, politics, healthcare, and more.
To further educate and dive deep into this subject, we encourage you to explore our new Black History resource list that provides invaluable resources and readings.
Events and Highlights this Black History Month:
- University of Bolton Library's Poetry Competition 2023
To celebrate Black History Month and National Poetry Day on October 5th, we are hosting a poetry competition for all UoB students. Craft a poem on an A4 sheet, celebrating black contributions to British society - whether famous personalities or personal heroes. The most inspiring entry will win a £50 voucher, with a £20 voucher for the runner-up.
- Deadline: November 15th, 2023
- Submit: firstname.lastname@example.org
1. Short Story Reading Group: Black History Month Special
- Date: October 11th 2023
- Time: 1:30pm - 2:30pm
- Location: Library Group Study Room 2
- Text: “Endangered Species: Case 47401” by Crystal Wilkinson.
- Register here: Short Story Reading Group: Black History Month Special - University of Bolton - University of Bolton Library
2. Poetry Workshop with Cherrelle Anne – Black History Month Celebration
- Date: October 18th, 2023
- Time: 10:30am - 12:30pm
- Location: T4-040
- Details: Celebrate Black History Month with poet Cherrelle Anne in an interactive workshop honoring the contributions of Black people throughout history through the power of poetry. Let’s make history come alive together as we honor the past, celebrate the present, and inspire the future with beautiful words.
- Register here: Black History Poetry Workshop - University of Bolton - University of Bolton Library
3. Black History Month Conversation Café
- Date: October 20th 2023
- Time: 1:00pm - 2:00pm
- Register here: Conversation Cafe (in-person): Celebrating Black History Month - University of Bolton - University of Bolton Library
Join us in our month-long celebration. Together, we can amplify the voices of black women and ensure their monumental contributions are always remembered.
4. Academic Reading Group – Black History Month Special
- Date: October 25th 2023
- Text: "Black Women Intellectuals" by bell hooks. Available here and here (Chapter 9)
- Register here: Academic Reading Group - University of Bolton - University of Bolton Library